Lufthansa Group has further extended its carbon offsetting Green Fares, with the option now available on 12 long-haul routes.

The group first announced plans for the fare option in August last year, which allows passengers to purchase a ticket which includes the offsetting of their individual flight-related CO2 emissions, along with other benefits including additional status miles and a free rebooking option.

The initiative was originally launched as a pilot project, before being rolled out across the group’s European and North African routes in February this year.

The fares will now be tested on the following long-haul routes with group carriers Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines and SWISS:

  • Zurich – Los Angeles (ZRH – LAX)
  • Frankfurt – Miami (FRA – MIA)
  • Sao Paulo – Zurich (GRU – ZRH)
  • Frankfurt – Bengaluru (FRA – BLR)
  • Munich- Seoul (MUC – ICN)
  • Brussels – Kinshasa (BRU – FIH)
  • Singapore – London (SIN – LHR/LCY)
  • Nairobi – Frankfurt (NBO – FRA)
  • Bangkok – Vienna (BKK – VIE)
  • Hong Kong – London (HKG – LHR/LCY)
  • London – Hong Kong (LHR/LCY – HKG)
  • Paris – Bangkok (CDG/ORY – BKK)

In the case of these long-haul services, the purchase of Sustainable Aviation Fuel will account for 10 per cent of the offsetting, with the remaining 90 per cent being covered through certified climate protection projects.

This page on the Lufthansa website details the Green Fares for European and intercontinental routes. Among the benefits are a 10 per cent boost in Miles and More status and award miles.

In June Lufthansa Group said that 200,000 customers had purchased Green Fares since the launch of the service – this figure has now risen to half a million.

Lufthansa Group says 200,000 passengers have purchased Green Fares so far

Commenting on the news Christina Foerster, Member of the Lufthansa Group Executive Board responsible for Brand & Sustainability, said:

“People want to fly and be mobile, they want to explore the world, visit friends and family or seal deals in person. The growing demand for our Green Fares show that more and more people want to travel as sustainably as possible.

“We support them with suitable offers. The Green Fares test on long-haul flights will provide us with important insights for the further development of our portfolio for more sustainable travel.”