A 56-year-old woman has died after an out-of-control firework shot into her mouth and exploded at a festival in Spain.
The man, 51, who lit the fuse has been arrested and could be charged with reckless homicide.
Paramedics rushed to the scene but could do nothing except ‘certify the death’ of the woman – according to the Emergency Coordination Service 112 of Castilla-La Mancha.
The incident took place at 20.29 last Saturday in the Spanish town of Viso del Marquéz, in Ciudad Real.
Local residents and visitors were busy celebrating the San Cristobal festival, which began on July 10.
The woman was in the crowd when the rocket veered out of control and struck her in the head.
The local council has called two days of mourning and flags flew at half-mast in the town of 2,400 people, where the woman also lived.
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06
- British man, 46, arrested after stabbing 20-year-old at 11AM in a bar in Alfaz del Pi on the Costa Blanca - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:45
- THIRTEEN air units battle forest fire in Beneixama on Spain’s Costa Blanca as ‘Level 2 emergency’ is declared - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:23
- British carers given four years in jail for defrauding elderly couple of €270,000 in Alicante – but will KEEP €100,000 of stolen cash - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:00
- Two men using fake €500 notes ‘so good they were undetectable by machines’ caught after blowing 15 of them in an Alicante casino - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 12:00
- WATCH: Paul ‘Gazza’ Gascoigne speaks to the Olive Press about how public speaking has given him his ‘football buzz’ back - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 18:38
- ‘Record-breaking’ bites from blood-sucking black fly as region sprays 5,000 litres of insecticide near Spain’s Costa Blanca - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 16:41
- First of Spain’s ‘stolen babies’ finds long-lost family through DNA bank - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 15:20