TWO men have been arrested in Alicante for using fake €500 bank notes so good they were ‘undetectable by machines’.
The sting came after the youths, aged 26 and 27, blew 15 of them in a casino in Alicante city.
The casino made a denuncia to police out of concern the €7,500 was in fact counterfeit money.
But expert reports made by technicians from the National Counterfeiting Analysis Center of the Bank of Spain confirmed the bank notes were of an extremely ‘high quality’.
The notes were so good, in fact, they bypassed the casino’s own machines for detecting counterfeit money.
After locating the alleged perpetrators, on July 9 agents from Alicante’s Judicial Police proceeded to arrest both persons accused of committing a crime of counterfeiting and fraud.
The detainees, both Spanish, were put at the disposal of the Court of Instruction no. 5 of Alicante.
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06
- British man, 46, arrested after stabbing 20-year-old at 11AM in a bar in Alfaz del Pi on the Costa Blanca - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:45
- THIRTEEN air units battle forest fire in Beneixama on Spain’s Costa Blanca as ‘Level 2 emergency’ is declared - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:23
- British carers given four years in jail for defrauding elderly couple of €270,000 in Alicante – but will KEEP €100,000 of stolen cash - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:00
- Two men using fake €500 notes ‘so good they were undetectable by machines’ caught after blowing 15 of them in an Alicante casino - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 12:00
- WATCH: Paul ‘Gazza’ Gascoigne speaks to the Olive Press about how public speaking has given him his ‘football buzz’ back - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 18:38
- ‘Record-breaking’ bites from blood-sucking black fly as region sprays 5,000 litres of insecticide near Spain’s Costa Blanca - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 16:41
- First of Spain’s ‘stolen babies’ finds long-lost family through DNA bank - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 15:20