THE Public Prosecutor’s Office has expressed ‘serious concern’ over the rise in murders on the Costa del Sol.
In 2018 the Malaga institution opened 95 preliminary murder hearings, a 44% rise on the previous year, and 61% more than four years ago.
Meanwhile assassinations or ‘intentional homicides’ in the province rose from 52 in 2017 to 65 last year, a 25% increase.
- EXCLUSIVE: Shooting outside luxury Marbella nightclub leaves two ‘drug cartel members’ injured
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized
- NARCO WARS: Thousands arrested and hundreds of tonnes of drugs seized in Andalucia last year as battle between mafias and police rages on
The Public Ministry added that criminals, including those involved in the hashish trade with Morocco, act ‘without fear’.
Explosives used by ‘narco terrorists’ in ‘score-settling’ between rival gangs was also highlighted by the Ministry, as a concerning trend.
October was a particularly bloody month, as narco and bombmaker Hamza Ziani was also slaughtered in sushi restaurant in Torremolinos.
- Financial specialist Blacktower is continuing to make inroads in Spain, offering excellent advice to expats of all nationalities - 15 May, 2019 @ 13:13
- ‘SERIOUS CONCERN’: Huge rise in murders and assassinations on Costa del Sol, public prosecutor says - 15 May, 2019 @ 11:37
- Liverpool back in Marbella for seven-day training camp ahead of Champions League final with Tottenham in Madrid - 14 May, 2019 @ 18:02
- Six-year-old boy in Spain’s Andalucia found dead in family hot tub as police investigate - 14 May, 2019 @ 11:51
- Spain removes warship from US fleet over rising nuclear weapons tension with Iran - 14 May, 2019 @ 11:12
- OPINION: After an exploding rum cocktail in Spain left three people hospitalised, do we need to re-examine modern nightlife? - 13 May, 2019 @ 12:13
- Pensioner drowns on Costa del Sol after sunbathing with his wife - 13 May, 2019 @ 11:06
- OPINION: The increasing number of British expats registering on Spain’s padron is pleasing, but also surprising - 12 May, 2019 @ 13:00
- BEWARE OF THE BIRDMAN: British pensioners on Costa del Sol issue warning after bizarre ‘bird poo’ robbery - 11 May, 2019 @ 14:30
- WATCH: Spain’s longest urban slide on Costa del Sol SHUTS just 24 hours after opening as users battered, bruised and friction burned - 11 May, 2019 @ 14:26