A FOREST fire raging on Spain’s Costa Blanca has seen 45 people evacuated from their homes.
The fire was reported at 14:30 today in Beneixama, between Villena and Bañeres, in the Alt Vinalopó comarca of Alicante.
A current 15 air units – including helicopters and aeroplanes – are understood to be battling the blaze, alongside 56 ground units, according to the 112 emergency services of the Valencian Generalitat.
Meanwhile more airborne units have been solicited from as far as Zaragoza, Guadalajara and Cuenca.
A level 2 emergency was declared at 5.00pm today by the Valencian Generalitat’s Communication Centre for Emergencies.
A message from Banyeres Town Hall has been issued asking property owners located between the Beneixama Power Plant and the Venta el Borrego to evacuate their homes until further notice.
Meanwhile, the manager of air navigation in Spain, Enaire, reported that planes are being diverted as the column of smoke has reached up to 15,000 feet.
More to follow..
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06
- British man, 46, arrested after stabbing 20-year-old at 11AM in a bar in Alfaz del Pi on the Costa Blanca - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:45
- THIRTEEN air units battle forest fire in Beneixama on Spain’s Costa Blanca as ‘Level 2 emergency’ is declared - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:23
- British carers given four years in jail for defrauding elderly couple of €270,000 in Alicante – but will KEEP €100,000 of stolen cash - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:00
- Two men using fake €500 notes ‘so good they were undetectable by machines’ caught after blowing 15 of them in an Alicante casino - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 12:00
- WATCH: Paul ‘Gazza’ Gascoigne speaks to the Olive Press about how public speaking has given him his ‘football buzz’ back - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 18:38
- ‘Record-breaking’ bites from blood-sucking black fly as region sprays 5,000 litres of insecticide near Spain’s Costa Blanca - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 16:41
- First of Spain’s ‘stolen babies’ finds long-lost family through DNA bank - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 15:20