A BRITISH couple who were caring for an elderly pair have been given four years in jail after an Alicante court found they had ‘fraudulently’ gained €270,000.
The judge said the elderly pair – both now passed away – had become ‘totally dependent’ on their carers.
The Brits, 51 and 67, ‘took advantage’ of this trust to transfer €385,902 to their personal bank accounts.
A sum of €116.680 was justified to remain with the convicted as their salaries.
The court then sentenced the British pair to four years in prison and a demand to repay just €166.332 to the family of the deceased.
But the remaining €102,890 of pilfered cash could ‘not be verified’ as the transfers were made via credit card in small amounts between ‘100 and 600 euros’.
The crimes were committed between the end of 2011 and July 2013
In 2013, the elderly wife passed away, meanwhile her husband suffered with Parkinson’s and cerebral arteriosclerosis that left him at times ‘incapacitated and with lapses in memory’, according to the public prosecutor.
The British pair – named only as B.S.S. and J.M.S. – showed no remorse however in arguing that the deceased’s family had agreed to hand over the whopping sum.
The son of the elderly pair – who’s family name is Van Dogen – testified in court that he ‘could not corroborate this version of events’.
The sentence concluded that the convicted had used the money for their ‘own benefit’.
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06
- British man, 46, arrested after stabbing 20-year-old at 11AM in a bar in Alfaz del Pi on the Costa Blanca - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:45
- THIRTEEN air units battle forest fire in Beneixama on Spain’s Costa Blanca as ‘Level 2 emergency’ is declared - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:23
- British carers given four years in jail for defrauding elderly couple of €270,000 in Alicante – but will KEEP €100,000 of stolen cash - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:00
- Two men using fake €500 notes ‘so good they were undetectable by machines’ caught after blowing 15 of them in an Alicante casino - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 12:00
- WATCH: Paul ‘Gazza’ Gascoigne speaks to the Olive Press about how public speaking has given him his ‘football buzz’ back - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 18:38
- ‘Record-breaking’ bites from blood-sucking black fly as region sprays 5,000 litres of insecticide near Spain’s Costa Blanca - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 16:41
- First of Spain’s ‘stolen babies’ finds long-lost family through DNA bank - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 15:20