TROPHIES, medals and bottles of bubbly saw off this year’s edition of The Mirador Challenge, comprising 15 iconic viewpoints along the coastline of Javea.
The annual walking event was attended by 150 participants, in 30 teams of five, and even saw a new record time of three hours and 55 minutes by team Are We Nearly There Yet?
Other prizes up for grabs included the Best-Dressed, which was won by an all-female team in multi-coloured afros and called THE FITBITS.
“I started the event eight years ago to celebrate the lovely views from Javea, which not everyone knows about,” founder and organiser Mike Smith, told the Olive Press.
This year’s event required a team of 75 volunteers to staff the 15 checkpoints, offering orange slices, strawberries and even jelly babies to the walkers.
Staff also monitored the teams, who were penalised if caught running, and gave a 30 minute penalty to one team for unregistered walkers and littering.
The event, sponsored by Blevins Franks, was divided into sport and leisure categories, with leisure teams Nuns on the Run and Buzzy Bees raising money for Help for Heroes.
Are We Nearly There Yet? team leader Eric admitted to shaving his legs before the event, and requested his team stay silent to preserve their energy for the record-breaking win.
- French woman dies after falling from a cliff while picking a flower on the Costa Blanca - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 17:04
- ‘ARE WE NEARLY THERE YET?’: New record time set on Javea’s Mirador Challenge - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 16:21
- ANCIENT Roman mosaics saved on Costa Blanca following years of human pollution - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 16:13
- British expat cycles 320km despite four knee operations to raise money for cancer on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 15:54
- WATCH: Four kittens found ALIVE in a car engine by mechanic on the Costa Blanca - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 15:24
- Fight against plant pathogen will see 100,000 almond trees DESTROYED in Alicante - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:38
- British expat boss of suspect investment company which ‘lost expats €20 million’ fails to turn up at court on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 13:41
- British father and son arrested at Alicante airport for trying to smuggle 400 grams of hashish back to London - 9 Apr, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘HE IS HOME SAFE’: Bristol man who went missing in Benidorm ‘collapsed’ while attempting to walk to Alicante airport - 9 Apr, 2019 @ 10:43
- British rock-climber suffers ‘severe’ head injuries after falling 10 metres on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 9 Apr, 2019 @ 00:37